Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Children and divorce, how to help them cope?

I divorced my husband 3 1/2 years ago, when my daughter was four. She is now 7 years old. My ex has not been very responsible as far child support or any support for that matter. He moved away last year with the woman he was cheating on me with. He only talks to his daughter every now and then. He wanted her to come to Virginia to stay with him for 3 weeks this summer, but because his living situation is not ideal, I refused to let her go (I have full custody). Now, I guess as some sort of payback, he will not talk to his daughter at all. He does not take her calls and she just cries to talk to him. I have been told to just lie to her and tell her his phone is cut off or something, but I don't want to lie. Should I continue to let her try to call him or go with the lie.Children and divorce, how to help them cope?
well, i was sorta in your daughters position, i know how it feels. my mother left me for some weird guy from nordstrom, i totaly hate him. she never talks to me and my dad finaly had to explain it to me that she has moved on. you should try to talk to your daughter and explain in a simple 7 year old way that her father can't handle being a dad and she shouldn't waste her time. ';anyone can be a father, but it takes a special someone to be a dad'; don't lie to her cuz it will make it all the harder to tell the truth later when she wants an explanation for what is going on, you could lose her. it will heal with time.Children and divorce, how to help them cope?
THIS is a no brainer !!








You need to sit down with a professional counsellor and talk all this out with them





Call any mental health Clinic and make an appt and go !





This poor kid is the major victim here and needs help





Nuff said!!
This is a touchy one - her age is definitely a factor - therapists say to stay out of it and let her and your ex form their own relationship. If you try to shield her with a lie about what is really going on, eventually she will catch on and turn it on you and resent you. I personally think that is fine for a teenager - but at 7 - I don't think they can handle that kind of rejection. I would let her call and just try and be honest - ';maybe dad is working late?'; - ';I know he is really busy, I'm sure he will call when he gets a chance?'; I think if you can just keep her busy with her life, sports, crafts, friends, outside time, whatever you can think of - and hopefully you and her can fill the void that is there b/c of her father. I wouldn't talk bad about him and I wouldn't bring him up at all. Good luck
come on mom, if you want to look like the best to your daug., then you must let her see (visit) and talk to her father. the worst thing that a parent can do is put a child in the middle of a adult situation. go to court and advise the court that she needs to be with her father during summertime. when she gets older she will see who he really is and you will be looking like the best mom ever, cause she will see no matter how deadbeat of a dad he really is, mom never stopped me from seeing him and she will always love you for that. good luck mom
Wow...Sorry to hear about this!





I guess what I'd do is contact one or two child psychologists and explain the situation to them...As trained professionals, they might be able to give you ideas or tips on what to do and on how to handle this so your daughter is as least hurt as possible....





Another thing you might try to do is have your lawyer AND the child psychologist send your idiot ex husband a letter in which they clearly explain what he's doing to his child. If he cares at least a bit about her well-being, he should change his attitude and shape up. Keep a copy of this letter so if he does nothing about it, you can show it to your daughter later on, when she's ready to understand that **** happens and she had a lousy man for a father.


Good luck!
Just tell her that her father is not happy about something that has nothing to do with the daughter. Explain that her father's place is not good for her to visit and that's why he is angry. Tell her to wait till he gets better.
Just comfort her and tell her that you are sorry that he is acting childish and that you love her. Then call him up and tell him that he will never see his daughter again because he is an *** hole and deserves to rot in hell.
i don't think you should continue to lie to your daughter that would just create even more trouble, i remember when my parents split up and it was the hardest thing for me, just when she has to cry let her cry hold some times you don't even have to say a word just let her get it out, maybe tell her to try writing her feelings down in a journal or diary, that always helped me! i would just tell her that her father is making so bad choices right now and not wanting to talk to his daughter is one of them maybe he'll come around but if not that's his loss, maybe try writing him a letter telling him how she feels. every moment is going to be hard just stick with her and let her know that you are always there for her standing by her side with every decision she makes. I hope i have been helpful and good luck!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment